Wednesday, August 25, 2010

London revisited

That's me posing as a Brit
I leave on Friday for London and a rendezvous with Nick, who's flying in from Geneva. My son will learn from a master what it means to be a carefree gadabout. After London we’ll explore the Kent countryside, Canterbury, Cambridge and then Oxford, where I’ll leave Nick for his study-abroad program. I'll head to North Wales for the weekend to visit a friend from DI days, and return back south to Devon for a spiritual retreat at Lee Abbey. I've mentally rehearsed what hiking through the heather in Exmoor is like, and I'm jazzed.

It was 30 years ago that I went to London to live—a disorienting, largely unhappy but hugely formative time in my life. I probably won’t be posting while I’m away, but will surely have lots of thoughts to share when I return. Cheers.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hoist a pint to thin places for me. Good trip.
Keith

Anonymous said...

And then hoist a second to the thick places for me.

Holy mackerel, Peter, that photo positively screams dash and elan ca. 1977.

Enjoy the U.K. --Joe