Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Ordinary miracle

Then God said, “Let the waters below the heavens be gathered into one place, and let the dry land appear,” and it was so. And God called the dry land Earth, and the gathering together of the waters He called Seas. And God saw that it was good. –Genesis 1:9

The word “good” hardly seems adequate at times. This verse came to mind last week as I flew by the tidepools and sea stacks at Seal Rock, heading south on my bike along Highway 101. I was traveling down the very edge of dry land, with a vast expanse of sea stretching west into the salty mist. In this moment I was again made aware of the ordinary miracle of my own existence.

“What is man, that thou art mindful of him?” Or, in other words: Who am I, mighty God, that you would grant me this sense of being fully alive in your creation? You have extended grace by placing me within this masterpiece of physical beauty. My body tingles at its sight.

I am baptized in his spirit every time I go to this place where great waters lap over the land. Being at the Oregon coast takes me back to creation—the third day, to be precise. By naming them “Earth” and “Seas” God established his lordship over both. He does so with all he creates. There is no place beyond his reach, not even the inky depths of the Pacific. Not even, I might add, the darkest recesses of my soul.

The tamed fury of the sea on a calm summer morning is power brought to submission. God is in control. The Earth this day is given to me at his pleasure. My heart pounds within my chest as I pedal onward.

No comments: