Friday, May 2, 2008

Feeling semi-normal

I’ve intentionally stayed off the blog this week since I’ve had better things to do than write about the misery of being held captive to interferon. Since I had the week off treatment, I’ve felt much more normal, with few of the flu symptoms that have plagued me. This has allowed me to get out and do some garden therapy, to visit with friends and family, and even to make a short trip to the coast with my friend Doug. It’s good to know that the side-effects will lift quickly once I finish with interferon (and that Einstein is hard at work on the problem).


I do have a bacterial infection in my surgical site, however, which casts a pall over things. The oncologist took a sample when I was in on Monday, and confirmed yesterday that it’s staph. I’ve been on antibiotics, and feeling OK considering I’ve had to deal with this little sideshow. I’m hoping that I can resume the interferon on Monday, but it’s possible the doc may want to wait to clear up the infection. I will also have another blood sample on Monday to make sure my blood and liver markers are all in order.

The main thing is it’s been great to feel semi-normal this week. I’m not quite sure what fully normal would be like, so I’ll settle for what I can get.

2 comments:

Marsha said...

I'm glad that this little respite (and the better weather) have helped. Thanks for being persistent in posting so that I can be specific in praying.

Anonymous said...

I'm praying for you as you start back on the interferon regime, Peter.

I don't want to be cavalier about what you're going through, but your blog is my first opportunity to read your writing. I had no idea what a good writer you are; no wonder you did this professionally.

Karen Berg